Abstract: Parkinson Disease (PD) seems to become one of the most prevalent neurological disorders of the twenty first century. Parkinson Disease is known to be an incurable disease because the clinical motor symptoms appear at later stages of the disease and the condition of patients at that point has become deteriorated. Moreover, the situation is further impaired by the lack of any diagnostic procedures or bio-markers for early evaluation of disease. Some recent studies on Parkinson Patients have concluded that the voice irregularities are the few very early appearing symptoms of Parkinson Disease. In this paper the voice analysis techniques are implemented to classify the Parkinson Patients on the voice parameter scales. The voice parameters which are realized in this approach are frequency, amplitude, pitch and formant, by applying Cepstral voice analysis algorithms. Besides providing patients
Keywords: Parkinson, PRAAT, Voice Parameters Etc
- De Lau L. M., Tan LC., "Epidemiology of Parkinson's disease", Neurology Asia, Vol. 18, Issue 3, pp. 231 -238, 2013.
- Sakar B.E., Isenkul M.E., Sakar C.o., Sertbas A., Gurgen F., Delil s.,Apaydin H., Kursun O., "Collection and Analysis of a Parkinson SpeechDataset With Multiple Types of Sound Recordings", IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health informatics, Vol. 17, Issue 4, pp. 828-34, 2013.
- Athanasios Tsanas, Max A. Little, Patrick E. McSharry, Jennifer SpielLorraine O. Ramig, " Novel Speech Signal Processing Algorithms for High-Accuracy Classification of Parkinson's Disease", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 59, Issue 5, pp. 1264-1271, 2012.
- Rektorova I., Mikl M., Barrett J., Marecek R., Rektor I., Paus T., "Functional neuroanatomy of vocalization in patients with Parkinson's disease" Journal of the Neurological Sciences, Elsevier, 313, pp. 7-12, 2012.
- Miller N., "Speech, voice and language in Parkinson's disease: changes and interventions", Future Medicine, Future science group, 10.2217 NMT.12.15,2012.
- Shirvan R. A., Tahami E., "Voice Analysis for Detecting Parkinson's Disease Using Genetic Algorithm and KNN", IEEE Conference on Biomedical Engineering, pp. 978-1005, 2011.
- Rouzbahani H. K., Daliri M.R., "Diagnosis of Parkinson's Disease in Human Using Voice Signals", Basic and Clinical NEUROSCIENCE, Vol. 2, pp. 12-20, 2011.
- Bocklet T.,Noth E., Stemmer G., Ruzickova H., Rusz J., "Detection of Persons with Parkinson's Disease by Acoustic, Vocal, and Prosodic Analysis",IEEE Conference on Automatic Speech Recognition and Understanding,Waikoloa, HI, pp. 478-483, 2011.
- Sidtis D.V.L., Rogers T., Godier V., Tagliat M., "Voice and Fluency Changes as a Function of Speech Task and Deep Brain Stimulation", American Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 53, pp. 1167-1177, 2010.
- Constantinescu G., Theodoros D., Russell T., Ward E., Wilson S., Wootton R. “Assessing disordered speech and voice in Parkinson's disease: a telerehabilitation application", Informa healthcare, Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists University f Queensland, 1460-6984, 2010.
- Yang X., Tan B., Ding J., Zhang J., Gong J., "Comparative Study on Voice Activity Detection Algorithm", IEEE International Conference on Electrical and Control Engineering (ICECE), 599-602, 2010.
- Hirschberg J., A. Neustein (ed.), Advances in Speech Recognition: Mobile Environments, Call Centers and Clinics, "You're as Sick as You Sound": Using Computational Approaches for Modeling Speaker State to Gauge Illness and Recovery, Springer Science+Business Media, Vol. 13, pp. 305-22, 2010.
- Skodda, Sabine; Rinsche, Heiko; Schlegel, Uwe, "Progression of dysprosody in Parkinson's disease over time-A longitudinal study", Movement Disorders, 24, Issue 5, pp. 716-22, 2009.
- A. Little, P. E. McSharry, E. J. Hunter, J. Spielman, and L. O. Ramig, Suitability of dysphonia measurements for telemonitoring of Parkinson's disease", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 56, Issue 4, pp. 1015-1022, 2009.
- Paulraj M.P, Yaacob S., Hariharan M., "Diagnosis of vocal fold pathology using time-domain features and systole activated neural network", IEEE 5th International Colloquium on Signal Processing & Its Applications, pp. 29-32,2009.
- Quek F., Bryll R., Harper M., Chen L, Ramig L., "Audio and Vision-Based Evaluation of Parkinson's Disease from Discourse Video", IEEE Xplore, pp. 10-21, 2009
- Ehrlich J., "Asthma, Allergies, Articulation: a Speech Therapy Perspective.” Asthma Allergies Children parent's web guide,
- Jankovic J. "Parkinson's disease: clinical features and diagnosis", J. Neurol. Psychiatr., Vol. 79, Issue 4, pp. 368-76, 2008..
- Proakis J.G.Manolakis D.G., "Digital signal processing", Pearson Prentice hall.2007
- Press W.H., Teukolsky S.A., Vetterling W.T., Flannery B.P., "Support Vector Machines", Numerical Recipes: The Art of Scientific Computing (3rd ed.) New York: Cambridge University Press, 2007.
- Earl Gosh et al, "Pattern recognition", School of computer science, Tele-communciations and information system, DePaul University, Prentice Hall of India, New Delhi, 2007.
- Gold B., Morgan N., "Speech and Audio Signal Processing", John Wiley & Sons,
- Waters C.W., "Diagnosis and management of Parkinson's disease", NY: Professional Communications, 4, 2005.
- Duffy J. R., "Motor speech disorders: Substrates, differential diagnosis, and management", 2nd ed., St. Louis, MO: Elsevier Mosby, 2005
- Peng, F. Long, and C. Ding, "Feature selection based on mutual information: criteria of max-dependency, max-relevance, and minredundancy," IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach., Vol. 27, Issue 8, pp. 1226-1238, 2005.
- Dauer W., Przedborski, S., "Parkinson's Disease: Mechanisms and Models" Neuron, Cell Press, Vol. 39, pp. 889-909, 2003.
- Huber J. E., Stathopoulos E. T., Ramig L. O., Lancaster S. L.,"Respiratory function and variability in individuals with Parkinson disease: Pre- and post-Lee Silverman Voice Treatment", Journal of Medical Speech-Language Pathology, 11, Issue 4, 185-201. (2003).
- Arfib D., Keiler F., Zolzer U., "Source-filter processing", Digital Audio Effects, John Wiley and Sons Ltd, 299-372, 2002.
- Shaughnessy DO., "Speech Communication", University press Ltd, 2,2001
- Geralyn M., Schulz, Megan K., "Grant effecets of speech therapy and pharmacologic and surgical treatments on voice and speech in Parkinson's Disease", Elsevier Science, Vol. 33, pp. 59-88, 2000.
- Bower J. H., "Multiple system atrophy", Parkinson's disease and movement disorders: Diagnosis and treatment guidelines for the practicing physician In C. H. Adler &J. E. Ahlskog, Totowa, Humana Press, pp. 235-242, 2000.
- Stacy M., "Progressive Supranuclear Palsy", Parkinson's disease and movement disorders: Diagnosis and treatment guidelines for the practicing physician, In C. H. Adler & J. E. Ahlskog, Totowa, Humana Press, 229- 234, 2000.
- Dewey R. B., "Clinical features of Parkinson's disease", Parkinson's disease and movement disorders: Diagnosis and treatment guidelines for the practicing physician, In C. H. Adler & J. E. Ahlskog, Totowa, Humana Press, pp. 71-84, 2000.
- LeWitt P. A., "Parkinson's disease: Etiologic considerations", Parkinson's disease and movement disorders: Diagnosis and treatment guidelines for the ticing physician in C. H. Adler & J. E. Ahlskog, Totowa, Humana Press, rac pp. 91-101, 2000
- Schroeder M. R., "Computer Speech: Recognition, Compression, and Synthesis", Springer Verlag, 1999,
- Kondaz A.M., "Digital Speech coding for low bit rate Communication Systems", John Wiley & sons, 1999.
- Luschei E.S., Ramig L.O., Baker K.L., Smith M.E., "Discharge characteristics of laryngeal single motor units during phonation in young and older adults and in persons with parkinson disease", Journal of Neurophysiology, Vol. 81, pp. 2131-39, 1999.
- Michaelis D., "Selection and combination of acoustic features for the description of pathologic voices", Journal of Acoustical Society of America Vol. 10, Issue 3, pp. 1628-40, 1998.
- Mitra S.K., "Digital Signal Processing: A computer-Based Approach", McGraw-Hill, New York, 1998.
- Yegnanarayana B., Veldhuis R.N.J., "Extraction of vocal-tract system characteristics from speech signals", IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio processing, Vol. 6, pp. 313-327, 1998.
- Lang E., Lozano A. M., "Parkinson's disease", New England Journal of Medicine, Vol. 339, Issue 15, pp. 1044-1053, 1998.
- Baker, K.K., Ramig, L.O., Luschei, E.S, & Smith, M.E., "Thyroarytenoid muscle activity associated with hypophonia in Parkinson disease and aging", Neurology, Vol. 51, pp. 1592-1598, 1998.
- Fox, C.M., & Ramig, L.O., "Vocal sound pressure level and self-perception of speech and voice in men and women with idiopathic Parkinson disease" American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 6, pp. 85-94, 1997,
- De Rijk M. C., Tzourio C, Breteler M. M, Dartigues J. F, Amaducci L. Lopez-Pousa S., et al., "Prevalence of parkinsonism and Parkinson's disease in Europe: The EUROPARKINSON collaborative study. European community concerted action on the epidemiology of Parkinson's disease", Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, Vol. 62, Issue 1, pp. 10-15, 1997,
- Hammen, V.L., & Yorkston, K.M., "Speech and pause characteristics following speech rate reduction in hypokinetic dysarthria", Journal of Communication Disorders, Vol. 29, pp. 429-444, 1996.
- Perez,K.S., Ramig, L.O., Smith, M.E., & Dromey, C., "The Parkinson larynx: Tremor and videostroboscopic findings", Journal of Voice, 10, 354-361.(1996).
- Theodoros D. G., Murdoch B. E., Thompson E. C, "Hypernasality in Parkinson's disease: A perceptual and physiological analysis", Journal of Medical Speech-Language Pathology, Vol. 3, Issue 2, pp. 73-84, 1995.
- Smith, M.E., Ramig, L.O., Dromey, C., Perez, K.S., & Samandari, R., Intensive voice treatment in Parkinson disease: Laryngostroboscopic findings", Journal of Voice, 9, pp. 453-459, 1995.
- Moulines E., Verhelst W., "Time-Domain and Frequency-Domain Techniques for Prosodic Modification of Speech", Elsevier Science B.V., Speech Coding and Synthesis, 1995.
- Solomon, N.P., & Hixon, T.J., "Speech breathing in Parkinson's disease" Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, Vol. 36, pp. 294-310, 1993.